Old Sep 06, 2005, 09:51 PM // 21:51   #1
Zenny
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Moa Birds [MB]
Profession: Mo/N
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Spinal Shivers Shutdown

This build shines in 4v4 when one or two monks at most are ever present in most situations. Haven't attempted 8v8 fights yet.

N/W - In my opinion, this build is far better at shutting down than a ranger. With a sword you'll be attacking faster (Atleast that's what I belive) than a short bow. And if they get out of range somehow, you'll have a wand to keep them down.
If you really wanted, you could use an axe instead. It still works, but a sword attacks faster I believe which is key.

Strengths: Incredible interrupt power.
Weaknesses: Very energy extensive. No survivability.

Equipment:
* Sword (Icy Hilt + Whatever) / Idol (20/20 Blood)
* Accursed Rod (20 Recharge) / Idol (20/20 Blood)
* Scar Pattern armor set (I prefer energy for this build, but whatever.)

Attributes:
14 Curse (+1 Head Piece, +1 Major)
11 Blood (+1 Minor)
2 Soul Reaping (+1 Minor)
10 Swordsmanship

Skills:
1.) Flurry - Faster Attack
2.) Sever Artery - DoT
3.) Hamstring - A Snare
4.) Plague Touch - Condition Removal
5.) Parasitic Bond - Hex Stack (Read Bottom @)
6.) Spinal Shivers - Interrupt (Important to have 14 Curses at minimum!)
7.) Offering of Blood - Energy Gain
8.) Rez Signet - A rez...

How To:
* Begin by casting Spinal Shivers on your target and then immediately Parasitic Bond.
* Move into melee range and spam Flurry to keep shut down.
*Hamstring to stop them running. (Owns in 4v4 since the only condition removal in the team is the monk you're shutting down.)
* Everytime you interrupt you lose energy, so use OoB constantly to recover energy.
* Sever Artery to add DPS.
* Use Plauge Touch to remove conditions from yourself and further hinder your target.

Tips:
* Watch your energy! If you hit 0 energy Spinal Shivers ends. If you have to, stop attacking till you recover enough or can use Offering of Blood.
* Target Elementalist last! They have a larger energy pool than you and if smart enough, they'll just let you interrupt them till you run out of energy thus removing Spinal Shivers.
* If Hamstring isn't lasting long enough, you could drop a couple points from Blood to Swordsmanship.
* Have your team attack something other than your target. It saves you time, effort, and energy. It'll piss off the person you're on. The person is already shutdown, no need to kill him yet

@Doing this gives the enemy a pink health bar which signifies if and when they try to remove hex. So basically, every time they remove hex, you recast Parasitic Bond so your Spinal Shivers is safe still. You'd need a 2 timed hex removals to remove Spinal Shivers.
Also, you can use Parasitic Bond as a timer to recast Spinal Shivers if you're on top of it. Parasitic Bond lasts 20 seconds and two of these equal 40 seconds. Spinal Shivers lasts 38 seconds, so about when the second Parasitic Bond ends is when you need to recast.

Last edited by Zenny; Sep 06, 2005 at 09:55 PM // 21:55..
Zenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 12:17 PM // 12:17   #2
Spura
Wilds Pathfinder

I've made a very very similar build. Maybe I'll submit it. And I tend to hit elementalist first because they have longest spells and are easiest to interrupt. Remember they don't gain energy from attunements if they get interrupted.
Spura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 01:00 PM // 13:00   #3
smurfhunter
Banned

Location: my w/mo uses mending, orison, and healing breeze. you cant kill him.
Guild: Sand Scorpions [SS]
Profession: W/Mo

idk when i first saw spinal shivers getting upped i thought you would do better as a ranger with marksmans wager/spinal shivers. but then there are better interupts for rangers (choking gas/practiced stance, serpents quickness/IA) etc.

intersting idea, although i suspect you will run out of energy realy fast. you might want to try a similar build as a ranger with marksmans wager, then you can add pin down instead of hamstring, TF instead of flurry (you wont have that much of an energy problem with wager), etc. nice build all in all
smurfhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 04:43 PM // 16:43   #4
Gabriel Fallen Monk
Academy Page

Guild: Infusion INF
Profession: Mo/Me

Ok heres the deal, N/W is the way to play this build, and I have perfected it for the most part. You run only curses and axe. 12 axe 12 curses, with a curse headpiece and minor rune gives you 14 curses which is just enough to get over that 6 energy hump.

Skills are as follows:

frenzy
sprint
eviscerate
axe rake
penetrating blow
executionars strike
spinal shivers
res sig

If you dont have anyone else on your team to stacka hex then substitute executinors or penetrating for parasitic. Energy is not an issue at all. Only thing that costs mana is spinal. I kill fast enough so that I dont have to interrupt that many times. I have yet to meet a monk that could stand up to eviscrate and all those others whilst being interrupted. This build obviously has its counters, but it packs one heck of a whallop when they arent exactly ready. If im on a solid team I like to bring wild blow instead of penetrating so i can stop them from blocking or evading. this is definitely the way to do this build, energy is not an issue at all.
Gabriel Fallen Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 05:17 PM // 17:17   #5
mr_boo
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: SoF
Profession: Mo/

I have no experience with SS, so I have a few questions:

Gabriel, what if the team is hosting 2 monks, how is Energy not an issue then, cause it seems to me that you need to be able to substain SS (with/without Parasitic Bond) hence OoB.

From your experiences, since you allready have Sprint, is it really necessary to carry a snare (Axe Rake)? As Zenny noted, wouldn't switching to the rod suffice to some degree until Sprint recharges?

BTW, Swords and Axes have the same attack rate.

Last edited by mr_boo; Sep 07, 2005 at 05:20 PM // 17:20.. Reason: Added the Ax and Sword attack rate bit
mr_boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:43 PM // 18:43   #6
Gabriel Fallen Monk
Academy Page

Guild: Infusion INF
Profession: Mo/Me

sprint is a neccesity for those times when you are against that monk that does nothing but run at first. You gotta sprint so you can hit him enough times to charge your adrenaline for the cripple. I like to get my adrenaline charged or almost all the way charged and then hit them with spinal shivers. that way its already too late for them when they realize they are hexed. And no energy is not a problem. The dmg is very good and can reach close to 100 with eviscerate and executinors, so i find that most of the time im interrupting maybe 4 spells. thats 20 energy at lvl 14 curses, which regens in no time. try it out with the same exact skills i listed you will have a ball. It will pi@@ you off when you are usiong frenzy and get spiked since you will die in about 2 hits but its fun if you got a decent monk.

If they have two monks then interrupting one alone is not enough. pair yourself with a kd/as warrior and sic him on the other monk then you will be having fun.
Gabriel Fallen Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2005, 06:46 PM // 18:46   #7
Zenny
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Moa Birds [MB]
Profession: Mo/N

The reason I prefer SS over a rangers prepartion shutdowns is there are going to be downtimes while casting and downtimes.

Then there's the Bow vs Melee. Maybe I just have bad experience with a bow, but I've had better success when I'm in their face rather than plinking sticks at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_boo
BTW, Swords and Axes have the same attack rate.
Hmm, I'll have to fiddle with an axe then. Good to know.
Zenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 12:07 AM // 00:07   #8
The milk shake
Krytan Explorer

Profession: R/

i know a better idea though, but im not sure if itll work, it follows the same concept.

R/N
12 curses
12 marks (8+3+1) archers mask
10 expertise(9+1)
Wep( Anything with a icy bow string on it), prefferable if you get a bow that deals+dmg vs hexed
Skills:
Marksmans Wager
Called Shot
Favorible Winds
Spinal Shivers
Plague Sending
Pin Down
Rez Signet
*Anything*
The milk shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 12:08 AM // 00:08   #9
The milk shake
Krytan Explorer

Profession: R/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Fallen Monk
Ok heres the deal, N/W is the way to play this build, and I have perfected it for the most part. You run only curses and axe. 12 axe 12 curses, with a curse headpiece and minor rune gives you 14 curses which is just enough to get over that 6 energy hump.

Skills are as follows:

frenzy
sprint
eviscerate
axe rake
penetrating blow
executionars strike
spinal shivers
res sig

youd run outta energy SO fast!!
The milk shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 12:42 AM // 00:42   #10
CAT
Banned

Guild: Slash Rank[DeeR]
Profession: R/Me

Works well, but try maybe having a E/N hexer that uses it and the warrior is just the one that inturrupts, that way the warrior can use IAS skills like Tigers fury or flurry while the necro is the one that has to worry about the energy loss. Not sure how well it works in tombs though.
CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 12:59 AM // 00:59   #11
Carinae
Forge Runner

Guild: Fifteen Over Fifty [Rare]

Try using a E/N using Ether renewal and then spam ice spells.
Carinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 01:04 AM // 01:04   #12
CAT
Banned

Guild: Slash Rank[DeeR]
Profession: R/Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinae Dragonblood
Isnt that what i just said?

And I dont think you can argue that an E/N that uses ice spells can inturrupt more frequently then a warrior with a hilt, maybe a combination of both the ice e/n for snares and the warrior with ice hilt would work though.
CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 02:19 AM // 02:19   #13
DarkAynjil
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinae Dragonblood
umm, like what - water trident?
no, all you would need is a cold damage wand/staff. Under ether renewal, use armor of frost, with aura of rest, and maybe ice spear? Water is hard to spam, unless you have Water Trident.
DarkAynjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 03:17 AM // 03:17   #14
Pvp Archer
Ascalonian Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Fallen Monk

Skills are as follows:

frenzy
sprint
eviscerate
axe rake
penetrating blow
executionars strike
spinal shivers
res sig

If you dont have anyone else on your team to stacka hex then substitute executinors or penetrating for parasitic. Energy is not an issue at all. Only thing that costs mana is spinal. I kill fast enough so that I dont have to interrupt that many times. I have yet to meet a monk that could stand up to eviscrate and all those others whilst being interrupted. This build obviously has its counters, but it packs one heck of a whallop when they arent exactly ready. If im on a solid team I like to bring wild blow instead of penetrating so i can stop them from blocking or evading. this is definitely the way to do this build, energy is not an issue at all.
Er... Penetrating blow doesn't work with evis/exec/rake, why can't I fight more ignorant people like you who think they have "perfected" their build when it actually sucks. =/ One smite hex and you're done. Also, frenzy and sprint both cost energy, it's not just spinal.
Pvp Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 10:59 AM // 10:59   #15
Spura
Wilds Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The milk shake
youd run outta energy SO fast!!
I tried ranger with marksman's wager and just isn't the same. And he won't run out of energy, trust me. Nothing funny like killing monk when he fails to cast his heal 6 times in a row.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 03:41 PM // 15:41   #16
Kenshin
Pre-Searing Cadet

I did something like that
Axe 16
Curses 9 or 10 forget
Tactics at 10-12
Str w/e was left
Dismember
Axe rake
Axe Twist
Victory is mine
Spinal Shivers
Rigor mortis
Flurry

Id go and cast Ss and then Rigor. Run update hit Flurry. Dismember, rake, twist, VIM when enrgy was low. Basically I could get two VIM out of one cycle of conditions one vim would get me 15 energy 2nd time about 10 I think

Worked really nicely
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 04:26 PM // 16:26   #17
mr_boo
Lion's Arch Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spura
I tried ranger with marksman's wager and just isn't the same. And he won't run out of energy, trust me. Nothing funny like killing monk when he fails to cast his heal 6 times in a row.
Are your referring to Gabriel's or Zenny's build?
Old Sep 08, 2005, 04:38 PM // 16:38   #18
Carinae
Forge Runner

Guild: Fifteen Over Fifty [Rare]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT
Isnt that what i just said?
Nope. Your post did not mention Ether Renewal, ice, or spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAynjil
umm, like what - water trident?
I was thinking Ice Spear, since Trident is Elite.

Last edited by Carinae; Sep 08, 2005 at 04:40 PM // 16:40..
Carinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2005, 06:53 PM // 18:53   #19
Spura
Wilds Pathfinder

Generally speaking I never had any problems with energy without any energy regaining spells using sword and spinal shivers. Unless I got energy drained of course.
Old Sep 08, 2005, 07:01 PM // 19:01   #20
mr_boo
Lion's Arch Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spura
Generally speaking I never had any problems with energy without any energy regaining spells using sword and spinal shivers. Unless I got energy drained of course.

Thanks!

Share This Forum!